If you would like to share your story on FT.com:
Simply send us an email to: rob (at-sign: @) faithtransitions (dot) com and tell us about yourself and what you would like to discuss.
How to prepare for your interview:
Often the guests that appear on FT.com live far apart from their interviewers. We conduct our conversations/interviews using a Voice Over IP program called Skype. When you call to connect with us, you will only be making a call. You will not be making a video call. Skype makes it easy to conduct these calls without worry about phone carrier service. However, you should consider making the Skype call from a device with a strong internet connection!
Skype is a free software package that allows you to make free phone calls using your computer microphone and speaker over the Internet.
1. Go to www.skype.com.
2. Choose the “Download Skype Now” option.
3. Download and install the software according to the instructions on the Skype website. Use all of the default options. Special set-up is not required.
4. In order to participate in a conversation, we must authorize each other as Skype contacts. After you have installed the software, go to the “Contacts” menu at the top and select the “New Contact…” option.
5. On the “Add a Contact” search screen, type “Faith_Transitions” into the contact name field and click the “Find” button.
6. Choose the Faith_Transitions contact from the search results list and click the “Add Contact” button at the bottom of the screen.
7. We we receive your contact request we will accept it and then we are set to make the call. We will then set a date for your interview. On that date, we will call you via Skype.
8. Lastly, you will need headphones and a microphone. Likely, your computer already has them. When making the call, it is best to plug earphones into the computer as open sound coming through the speakers may be picked up by the microphone creating unpleasant sound fragments. You can use your standard PC microphone and any old pair of headphones. For superior sound quality, it is advisable to pick up a USB headset. They can be purchased nearly anywhere including places like Walmart. Usually, headsets are a “plug-and-play” technology, meaning all you have to do is plug them into a USB slot and your computer will configure all of the necessary settings.
9. You can use the Skype call testing service to make sure everything is working, or we can also make a test call.
You will only sound as good as your microphone! Remember, if you want to get your message out and be understood, investment in a microphone will pay off. $30 will go a long way. You can contact us for suggestions.
If you have any problems whatsoever, don’t worry. Just let us know and we will arrange a time to walk you through the set-up over the phone.
If using Skype is not possible, we might be able to conduct the interview over your regular phone line, but the sound quality will be noticeably diminished.